Friday, January 22, 2021

The Other Day I Thought About James Cross & Now I Learn He Has Died

Most Americans would be forgiven for not knowing who James Cross is.

But if you're a Canadian of a certain age you will know the name well.

Cross was a British diplomat who was posted in Canada as a Trade Commissioner in Montreal. In October 1970, Cross was kidnapped by members of the Front de Liberation du Quebec (FLQ), a terrorist organization which sought an independent Quebec. It was Cross' kidnapping and the subsequent murder of Pierre Laporte, Quebec's Minister of Labour, which precipitated the October Crisis and the FLQ Crisis. Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau (Justin's father) responded by invoking the War Measures Act. Cross would be released in December 1970 in exchange for FLQ terrorists being allowed to flee to Cuba. All of the kidnappers would eventually return to Canada where they faced charges and imprisonment albeit for short terms.

I have lived in the U.S. for nearly 21 years and have not set foot on Canadian soil since 2014. Over time I have given Canadian history less and less thought. But when I was walking home from doing some grocery shopping on Inauguration Day I thought about the siege of the U.S. Capitol before thoughts turned to my home and native land when there was something resembling an insurrection in Quebec more than half a century ago. 

While thinking about the FLQ Crisis it occurred to me that Cross might be still alive although quite elderly. Anyhow, today I learned that Cross passed away on January 6th at the age of 99. His death was not announced until January 20th - the day I thought about him. It is also interesting that he passed on the day of our insurrection.

By all accounts, Cross kept a stiff upper lip during his captivity and maintained his stoicism for the balance of his long life. Cross bore his cross well. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment