Wednesday, January 20, 2021

President Biden: Disagreement Must Not Lead to Disunion

Today, I was working from home as my employer kept us away from the office in the event of violence by Trump supporters. Fortunately, this did not come to pass and I got to watch President Biden's Inaugural Address. Here is the passage which resonated with me the most:

To all those who supported our campaign I am humbled by the faith you have placed in us. To all those who did not support us, let me say this: Hear me out as we move forward. Take a measure of me and my heart. And if you still disagree, so be it. That's democracy. That's America. The right to dissent peaceably, within the guardrails of our Republic, is perhaps our nation's greatest strength.

Yet hear me clearly: Disagreement must not lead to disunion. And I pledge this to you: I will be a President for all Americans. I will fight as hard for those who did not support me as for those who did.

And if you still disagree, so be it?

Could you imagine Donald Trump uttering such a sentence?

President Biden doesn't expect people to agree with him. He's welcoming our disagreement and I intend to take advantage of it when the situation warrants it. 

Last September, I declared my intention to vote for Biden knowing full well that I would disagree with him - namely with the possible restoration of the Iran nuclear deal. Last week, I voiced my displeasure at his nomination of Kristen Clarke to head up the Civil Rights Division at the U.S. Department of Justice. I know it will be far from the last time I disagree with Biden over these next four years.

But even when I passionately believe Biden to be wrong and misguided I'm not prepared to burn it all down. Because burning it down won't make it right. 

Two weeks ago the United States came precariously clear to disunion for the first time in more than 150 years. We must not get to this point ever again.

Even if Biden implements policies or makes appointments I might disagree with I believe he will implement them in good faith and with compromise whenever possible.

Although there will be more disease and death to come in the first months of his administration, today I feel a small but firm measure of optimism. The year 2021 will end better than it began. In four years time, Americans will be better off than we are today because we will have found the way to build back better.

No comments:

Post a Comment