Monday, September 30, 2024

Pete Rose is a Hall of Famer, Plaque or No Plaque

A short time ago, I learned that MLB's all-time hits leader Pete Rose passed away today at the age of 83

No cause of death has been released at this time.

His passing was announced on ESPN by Eduardo Perez whose father Tony Perez was Rose's longtime teammate with the Cincinnati Reds and later with the Philadelphia Phillies. The younger Perez was informed of the news by his father, and he confirmed it with Rose's son, Pete, Jr. 

In 23 MLB seasons with the Reds, Phillies and briefly with the Montreal Expos, Rose played more games, had more plate appearances, more at bats and more hits than any other player in MLB history. "Charlie Hustle" collected 200 or more hits ten times (leading the NL in hits seven times), won three NL batting titles, was named to 17 NL All-Star Teams and earned three World Series rings (two with the Reds in 1975 and 1976 and one with the Phillies in 1980). Rose was also the only player in MLB history to collect at least 500 hits at five different positions - first base, second base, third base, left field and right field. 

Unfortunately, because Rose bet on baseball while managing the Reds during the late 1980's, he was banned from MLB and rendered ineligible for the Baseball Hall of Fame. Yet, following my visit to Cooperstown in 2012, I noted that Pete Rose is there if you look close enough:

I also didn’t realize that Pete Rose is in the Hall of Fame. Oh, you won’t find him in the Hall of Fame Plaque Gallery on the main floor. But you will find Charlie Hustle on the 3rd Floor where he is acknowledged as Major League Baseball’s all-time hit leader. Rose has also played more big league games than any other player who stepped onto the field. This fact is acknowledged with a cap he wore during his half-season with the Montreal Expos in 1984. Yet I am under no illusions that Rose will ever have a plaque on the main floor.

I don't think this state of affairs will ever change. If baseball is not prepared forgive "Shoeless" Joe Jackson of his transgressions more than a century after the fact, Charlie Hustle stands no chance. 

But in my book, and that of a lot of other baseball fans, Pete Rose is a Hall of Famer, plaque or no plaque. 

Lastly, on a personal note, Pete Rose came into the world on April 14, 1941 - the same day my Dad was born. 

As one might understand, I cannot help but think of Rose's passing without thinking of my father's mortality. Dad had a brush with death nearly a decade ago with his quadruple bypass and is making the most of his life. But I harbor no illusions that all things must come to an end. I can only hope that end doesn't come anytime soon.

With that, I wish my Dad an early L'Shana Tovah.

R.I.P. Charlie Hustle.

No comments:

Post a Comment