Thursday, March 14, 2019

Ben Sasse Chooses Trump Over The Constitution

Ben Sasse wasn't the only Republican Senator who declined to block President Trump's National Emergency Order at the southern border, but his vote was the most disappointing of all the Republican votes. Even more so than Thom Tillis who voted with Trump despite writing an op-ed in The Washington Post opposing the measure as it would “justify providing the executive with more ways to bypass Congress.”

Sasse's support for Trump is far more disappointing because I wrote his name in for President on my ballot in 2016:

With the election four weeks from today, I have decided I will write in Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse and Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker. They are the first GOP Senator & Governor to publicly rebuke Donald Trump, respectively. This has earned Sasse a rebuke from his own party and could cost him his Senate seat down the road. There's something to be said for someone who takes a stand regardless of whether it will be popular or not.

While Baker has no national ambitions, as a Bay State resident, I shall surely vote for his re-election as Governor in 2018 it will be interesting to see what Sasse does in the next few years. But for the moment they stand as honorable men and in that spirit I shall write in their names on my ballot on November 8th.

Well, Sasse is up for re-election next year and has now decided to toe the line. None of this guarantees there won't be a primary challenge against him. But Sasse has decided to give Trump powers he ought not have and the Constitution be damned. Sasse has decided to give a President he purportedly thinks a fool more powers to exercise his foolishness. Sasse has also decided to live on his knees instead of dying standing up. I don't regret voting for Sasse in 2016. But in light of today's vote I will not vote for him again should he seek higher office in the future. (The same cannot be said for Baker whom I did not vote for last fall, but only because I moved out of Massachusetts). 

Of course, Democrats would have no qualms doing the same if a future Democratic President were to utilize  emergency powers to implement broad gun control measures. Democrats who swore by the Constitution today will swear at it tomorrow.

But for today I reserve my profound disappointment with Ben Sasse. Shame on you.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment