Friday, December 8, 2017

Why I Think Stanton Will End Up in Yankee Pinstripes

Miami Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton has informed both the St. Louis Cardinals and the San Francisco Giants he will not waive his no-trade clause. This now leaves the Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, Houston Astros and the New York Yankees as teams he will consider playing for in 2018 and beyond.

I can't see him ending up in Houston. They don't have the money and lack the glamour of those other cities despite the Astros' World Series win.

I also can't see him ending up in Wrigley. If they are unwilling to re-up with Jake Arrieta I can't see them paying for Stanton unless they can get the Marlins to pay the freight.

The Dodgers would seem to be the most obvious destination given that Stanton is a L.A. native. But if Stanton wanted to play at home I think it would have happened by now. I'm sure Dodger fans would love to see Stanton in Dodger blue as they came within a game of winning the World Series and see him the missing piece of the puzzle. But I can't see the Dodgers paying most of the freight for Stanton.

This leaves the Yankees. Aside from New York being the media mecca of the world, there is also Derek Jeter. Mr. November is in the midst of conducting a fire sale now that he's found out he owns a bill of goods. If there is any organization that might cut Jeter a little slack financially it would be the Yankees.

Could you imagine Stanton and Judge in the same lineup?

As a Red Sox fan, I hope he goes to L.A.




No comments:

Post a Comment