Thursday, May 26, 2022

Ray Liotta, R.I.P.

I learned of actor Ray Liotta's death riding the elevator back up to work after lunch on Thursday much in the same way I learned of the elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas earlier this week. Elevators aren't always so uplifting.

It was a rather shocking death as he was only 67. He passed away in his sleep while working on a film in the Dominican Republic.

I remember him from his breakout role as the villainous ex-boyfriend of Melanie Griffith in Something Wild starring Jeff Daniels. Of course, he is best remembered for playing Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams and mobster Henry Hill in Martin Scorcese's Goodfellas. I also enjoyed his role in Corinna, Corinna opposite Whoopi Goldberg in the early 1990's. More recently, he had roles in the Oscar nominated Marriage Story with Adam Driver as well as The Sopranos prequel The Many Saints of Newark.

While Liotta wasn't a A-lister he had a long and distinguished career and was popular with the public. Now he takes his place among immortals in acting, baseball and otherwise. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment