Monday, December 20, 2021

I Got My Boost as U.S. COVID Cases Exceed 51 Million

Earlier this evening, I received my Moderna booster at the CVS Pharmacy at Porter Square in Cambridge. So far all is well. Knock on wood and solid substances in the hope it stays that way. I know having a boost doesn't mean I'm immune from COVID. But if I do get it then chances are I'm not going to end up in the hospital.

It's been seven months, seven days and nearly 1,100 miles since I received my second dose. At the time COVID cases were slowing down. I bandied about the possibility of India overtaking the U.S. as the country with the most COVID cases as it took nearly two months to add a million new cases. Today, the U.S. went over 51 million cases as it only took a week to add a million new cases. By comparison, India is approaching 35 million cases (34,746,838). As of this writing, according to Johns Hopkins University, the U.S. has 51,097,528 cases resulting in 807,945 deaths representing a mortality rate of 1.6%. 

With Omicron spreading rapidly, I suspect it will take less than a week to get to 52 million cases. Outgoing NIH Director Francis Collins predicted we may soon get 1 million new cases a day. Even if these numbers come to pass the unvaccinated will not get vaccinated which could result in a permanent pandemic.

Some Americans have a death wish. I am not among them. I want to live and want others to live. This means getting vaccinated and wearing masks where appropriate. Sadly, for some this is too big of a price to pay for their liberty. But as I say these people have a death wish. In which case, they are choosing death over liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment