Thursday, May 13, 2021

While Waiting For My 2nd Moderna Shot, The CDC Further Loosened Mask Guidelines

 

This afternoon I received my second dose of the Moderna vaccine. Above is a picture of me in the waiting room following the injection in deep contemplation.

Shortly before getting the shot, I learned the CDC had issued an advisory that fully vaccinated people will be able to largely jettison masks both outdoors and indoors

The advisory was issued in part to encourage people who haven't already been vaccinated to get vaccinated. However, here in Atlanta, people have long been maskless outdoors. On Saturday, I went to a gathering in the Virginia-Highlands neighborhood called Porchfest and I would say 95% of the attendees did not wear masks and were in close contact with each other. I suspect a great many of these people were not fully vaccinated or vaccinated at all. For my part, I remained fully masked. At this point, my plans have not changed. Once I am fully vaccinated two weeks from now I shall not wear my mask outdoors unless I'm in a large, dense crowd of people like I was over the weekend.

As for wearing masks indoors there will likely be complications. Although Georgia does not (and never has) have a mask mandate, the city of Atlanta does. How long will it be before Atlanta drops this requirement? And even if Atlanta does it is possible individual establishments and commercial properties could wait longer to drop their requirements. Will these establishments and properties require proof of vaccination? Then there is also the question of commercial travel? How long will it be before buses, trains and airliners drop mask requirements?

All of this to say there will be some confusion where it concerns the wearing of masks indoors and at large outdoor gatherings. Invariably I think this will lead to increase in the daily COVID-19 caseload which has been falling steadily. But it is possible that the number of vaccinations might be sufficient to offset any possible increase in cases if it results in fewer hospitalizations and deaths. However, the daily vaccination rates have been declining and states have been implementing incentive programs most notably Ohio's $1 million lottery drawing for residents who have been vaccinated

I say all of this with the realization that this is good news and I don't believe this iteration of the CDC would have issued these guidelines haphazardly. After more than a year of living in conditions which has led to the deaths of more than half a million Americans, I am looking forward to a pleasant summer along with everyone else. 

As I have mentioned I will let the people of Atlanta finally see my mustache in its full glory in two weeks time. But I'll be keeping my mask close at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment