Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The Consequences of Coronavirus Kick In

Today the consequences of the Coronavirus have kicked in.

For starters I am not at work today. I shall go in tomorrow and Friday with Thursday off. From there I'll have one week on and one week off or vice versa. Fortunately I will be fully compensated. How long such an arrangement can be sustained remains to be seen.

I will neither be bowling nor swimming for the foreseeable future. Things weren't so cut and dry on either activity. When NYC Mayor de Blasio made his announcement Sunday regarding restrictions on restaurants, bars and entertainment venues bowling centers were not included unlike in Los Angeles. However, NY Governor Andrew Cuomo along with New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy and Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont jointly forbade public gatherings of more than 50 people the writing was on the wall. This morning Bowlmor announced that all of its centers would be closed for 15 days. Under the circumstances, an April 1st reopening might be more than a tad optimistic. Whatever risks I might have taken, I'm glad I went bowling on Saturday.

As for swimming, the New York Parks & Recreation Department kept its rec centers & swimming pools open. But following my swim last night a staff member informed that their facilities would be closed indefinitely. Once again, whatever risks might have been involved, I'm glad I got in one last swim.

I'm also glad I had one last sit down meal in a restaurant yesterday. My stay at Zorba Mediterranean Grill on 3rd Avenue was only 10 minutes and I was the only patron inside. But I savored every moment of that seasonal vegetable wrap. Restaurants in New York City (and numerous other jurisdictions) are open only for delivery and take out.

It could be worse. We could be on 24 hour lockdown much like San Francisco. Yet all things considered this could come to pass. If it does it will have come more gradually. Still it's something I would prefer not to experience if at all possible.

Most importantly of all is that Dad and I still have our health. Let's keep it that way. Knock on wood. Then wash your hands.



No comments:

Post a Comment