Tuesday, March 17, 2020

New Yorkers Should Expect Shelter in Place Order Within 48 Hours, Says de Blasio

Earlier today I made this observation about the measures taken in New York City, throughout New York state and several other states to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus:

It could be worse. We could be on 24 hour lockdown much like San Francisco. Yet all things considered this could come to pass. If it does it will have come more gradually. Still it's something I would prefer not to experience if at all possible.

Well, there's a very good chance I and millions of other New Yorkers are going to experience a 24 hour lockdown or a shelter-in-place order. NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio stated this afternoon that New Yorkers could expect an announcement regarding shelter-in-place within the next 48 hours by either the city or the state. With the way things are going this could change by the hour.

If New York does implement shelter-in-place it means we can only leave our homes to go to the grocery, pharmacy or bank. However, that might not be so easy if you don't have any money. As I noted earlier, my employer is compensating us at our full pay even though we are required to be in the office on alternate days followed by alternate weeks. A shelter in place order might throw that plan out the window. In which case if there's a federal stimulus it's going to have to be a hell of a lot larger than the $1,000 Mitt Romney floated the other day. Or perhaps represent more than a one time payout.

A indeterminate shelter in place plan is guaranteed to result in a recession. Implementing it in New York City will only accelerate that pace. Of course, if such a plan prevents the death of hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of Americans then it will have paid a dividend no amount of money can measure. Still, it leaves a lot of questions and the devil is in the details. It remains to be seen if we will get those details right.

Needless to say, I am operating on the assumption that shelter in place is a fait d'accompli. Until it is implemented I am going to enjoy the simple pleasures of life such as a walk in Riverside Park. After all it is uncertain when I will have the opportunity to enjoy such simple pleasures for the foreseeable future. Fear not!!! I kept my social distance and New Yorkers gladly reciprocated. That and I wore white gloves. I can only hope I don't get the back of the hand for it.

At this point, I can only take things a day at a time (though I might need to implement a by the hour policy). I do know I am going to work tomorrow. I'll take things from there. So will we all. As long as we have breath in our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment