Thursday, March 26, 2020

All Things Considered I am Lucky - Knock on Wood!!!

It has been more than a week since I was sent home from work after it was learned a colleague tested positive for the Coronavirus (a.k.a. COVID-19).

We were sent home with assurances that we would receive our regular paycheck tomorrow. This morning, I spoke with my supervisor over the phone and was informed I would also be paid for this week and that things would be determined on a week to week basis.

All things considered I am very lucky. There are a lot of New Yorkers who were employed in restaurants and retail who are not so fortunate, have spent their last dollar and have no means of support. Some are eligible for unemployment insurance but good luck obtaining access to an overloaded website.

I must also count my blessings in that I am healthy and so is my Dad. Many New Yorkers are far less fortunate namely those who have lost their lives to COVID-19. Local hospitals are having difficulty coping lacking basic medical supplies to address the onslaught of patients and are now forced to build makeshift morgues. Things are expected to get worse, much worse despite President Trump's rosy talk with no basis in reality other than getting more people sick and dead. If either my Dad or I become ill or both of us, well, it's not something I want to think about. But I must keep it in the back of my mind because of the reality around us for now and the foreseeable future. We can only take things a day at a time and, if necessary, an hour at a time.

For the moment, however, all is well with my both my Dad and I. Let's keep it that way. Knock on wood!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment