Sunday, March 1, 2020

I'll Probably Still Vote For Buttigieg in November

I am disappointed that Pete Buttigieg has chosen to end his presidential bid. It was only a month ago he won the Iowa Caucus & only two weeks ago he finished a close second in New Hampshire. Unfortunately, a third place finish in Nevada eight days ago and a fourth place finish last night in South Carolina without earning a delegate made his early success shortlived. Alas, Buttigieg did not resonate with minority voters some of whom hold deep rooted homophobic views which say a great deal more about them than it does about Buttigieg.

While Buttigieg might not be the Democratic nominee there is a very good chance I will write his name in come November. He was the only Democrat who showed a lick of sense when it came to trying to change the mind of Trump voters, welcoming disaffected Republicans with open arms and turning the Democratic Party back into a big tent.

I simply cannot see myself voting for any other Democrat. Bernie Sanders has done more than any American to legitimize anti-Semitism. Elizabeth Warren is just fundamentally dishonest, Amy Klobuchar is a bully and Joe Biden represents the excesses of the Obama Administration. Michael Bloomberg did have some achievements as Mayor of New York City, but is distancing himself from them. Bloomberg has views on gun control, climate change and the Chinese politburo that are too peculiar for my liking. He is more pro-Israel than most Democrats, but those views are about as welcome in his party as his existence as a billionaire. I don't see Democrats nominating him and I don't see him sticking around if he has fewer than 25 delegates in 48 hours time.

No candidate is entitled to my vote. It must be earned. As much as I hold Donald Trump in contempt I don't see the remaining Democratic field does not inspire my confidence. It's enough to make me want to concentrate my energies at the bowling alley instead of the ballot box.

My disappointment notwithstanding it is heartening to consider that no one outside of South Bend knew who Buttigieg was a year ago. That he's come this far in 2020 is a good thing. The question is how far can Pete Buttigieg go in 2024.


No comments:

Post a Comment