Monday, January 13, 2020

When a Water Main Breaks in Manhattan

Before leaving home for work on Monday morning I noticed the toilet water was dark. For a moment I thought I had forgotten to flush. But I hadn't and when I flushed again the color didn't change I thought the problem was in the apartment. After all, our kitchen sink had just been fixed as had that of our upstairs neighbor.

But when I reached Broadway via Columbus and saw NYPD and MTA employees walking on a very wet street I realized a water main had broken. Had I been out half an hour earlier I'd have been swimming in it.

Broken water mains are a fact of aging infrastructure. But when a water main breaks in NYC the whole world knows about it just as with the blackout last summer. Yet had I walked down Central Park West I would have never known anything was askew. The fact that I almost always walk to work helps. Had I realized on the subway I would have learned the 1, 2 and 3 were completely shut down. One of my colleagues who lives near Broadway and 98th found this out the hard way. Taking the A, B, C or D wasn't an option as there were lines leading into the subway. My colleague had to walk across Central Park to catch a 6 train on the East Side. And I thought the T in Boston was a pain in the ass. Well, it is but....

The worst of it is around Broadway and 62nd. When I walked by the area after my swim several businesses were closed for the evening because of water main break and might still be closed tomorrow. Time is money especially in a New York minute. In which case those businesses might be taking on more than water. 

But by tomorrow morning this will be water under the bridge for most New Yorkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment