Friday, January 10, 2020

Neil Peart, R.I.P.

Neil Peart, drummer and primary lyricist for the Canadian progressive rock group Rush, passed away on January 7th of brain cancer. He was 67.

Peart joined Rush in 1974 succeeding the group's original drummer John Rutsey. Peart's influence on the band went beyond the drum kit. Influenced by the writings of Ayn Rand, Peart's libertarian inspired lyrics would be instrumental in Rush becoming one of the most popular rock 'n roll bands in the world over the next four decades. Over the years, Peart's drumming style evolved from the hard rock approach of John Bonham and Keith Moon to the big band swing of Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa. Peart would produce two tribute albums to Rich in the 1990's.

Peart took a hiatus from late 1998 through early 2001 following the death of his daughter in an automobile accident and his wife succumbing to cancer in the space of less than a year. During this hiatus, Peart traveled on his motorcycle throughout North America and Central America and chronicled his travels in his 2002 memoir "Ghost Rider: Travels on The Healing Road". During this period, Peart remarried and once again became a father of a daughter. Peart remained with Rush until his retirement in December 2015.

The one Rush song that has long resonated with me is "Distant Early Warning":

The world weighs on my shoulders
But what I am to do?
You sometimes drive me crazy
But I worry about you
I know it makes no difference
To what you're going through
But I see the tip of the iceberg
And I worry about you

Well, listen to it for yourself.


Tonight, the world no longer weighs on Neil Peart's shoulders. But his passing weigh on ours. R.I.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment