Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Terry Jones, R.I.P.

Monty Python co-founder Terry Jones has passed away following a five year battle with dementia. He was 77.


Not long after hearing the news, I spoke about Jones with a colleague who said that he could not recall a Python skit where Jones was the central character. There is much truth to that as John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle and Graham Chapman had all skits where they were the focus of the sketch. My reply was that Jones was indeed central to the Python vision of humor just behind the scenes. Indeed, Jones co-wrote the lion's share of the group's skit along with his Oxford classmate Michael Palin. Jones also directed all of Python's films - Monty Python and The Holy Grail (along with Terry Gilliam), Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life. There is no comedy without a straight man and for Python it was Terry Jones (even if he occasionally wore dresses doing so) as perhaps best demonstrated in the Nudge Nudge, Know What I Mean, Know What I Mean skit he performed with Eric Idle. R.I.P.



No comments:

Post a Comment