Thursday, January 2, 2020

Castro Ends Presidential Campaign; Could He Be a VP Pick?

Julian Castro, the former HUD Secretary, has ended his bid for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination.


Castro frankly rubbed me the wrong way. He came off as a jerk. When Castro questioned Biden's memory during the September debate, the NYU mob with whom I watched the debate cheered. But I didn't think it helped him at all. Only days after this debate, Texas Congressman Vicente Gonzalez abandoned Castro in favor of Biden.


Although Castro appeared on the debate stage in October, he failed to make the cut off for November and December's debate and it was highly unlikely he would make this month's debate in Iowa. The Left will complain about the lack of diversity as it did when Kamala Harris departed in December, but last I checked AOC, Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib were stumping for Bernie Sanders.


Castro could still play a big role in the 2020 election. He is certainly a possible VP running mate. I wouldn't be surprised if Elizabeth Warren would give him the nod. Castro would be Warren's bad cop and I'm sure Democrats would enjoy him debating Mike Pence. It also wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility if Biden forgave Castro and named him his running mate although I suspect Biden will pick a woman of color like Harris or Stacey Abrams. In which case, Castro will probably be on a lot of TV screens as a campaign surrogate for the Democratic nominee whoever he or she might be.


But if Castro rubbed people the wrong way during his presidential campaign chances are his efforts won't help any other Democrat get elected President.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way. My guess if it's Joe it will be stacey.

    ReplyDelete