Monday, January 21, 2019

My 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot (If The BBWAA Gave Me a Vote)

Tomorrow the BBWAA will unveil the Class of 2019 who will be inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame this July in Cooperstown, New York. If I were a member of the BBWAA, here are the 10 candidates for whom I would cast ballots.

1. Mariano Rivera
2. Roy Halladay
3. Curt Schilling
4. Omar Vizquel
5. Larry Walker
6. Fred McGriff
7. Jeff Kent
8. Scott Rolen
9. Andruw Jones
10. Edgar Martinez

It is Rivera's first year of eligibility on the ballot and he if doesn't get 100% of the vote, he'll get very, very close.

It is also Halladay's first year of eligibility. Sadly, his induction will be a posthumous one. At the time of his death, I argued the BBWAA should have waived its rules for his early induction. He might not get in on his first try, but if he doesn't he'll be close.

I don't think the same will be said for Curt Schilling. Not as long as he supports Trump though I wish this wouldn't be held against him.

I don't know if Vizquel will get in this year, but he will get in eventually. I view Vizquel as the Luis Aparicio of his generation and it took him six tries before he got the call. Vizquel is in his third year of eligibility.

Nevertheless, the Hall of Fame rarely values defensive work. But I do. It is why I voted for Vizquel along with Rolen, Walker and Jones (who I very reluctantly left off my list last year). However, aside from Vizquel, they will be lucky to be on the third of the ballots.

It is McGriff's last year of eligibility and I would hate to think that being 7 HR shy of 500 is all that is keeping him out of Cooperstown. Perhaps the Today's Game Committee will assist McGriff in the same way they have assisted Jack Morris, Alan Trammell, Lee Smith and Harold Baines into Cooperstown.

It is also Martinez's final year on the ballot, but he will very likely get in. I reluctantly made him my 10th pick over Mike Mussina. Don't get me wrong. Martinez is very good, but he's no David Ortiz.

I've always had a soft spot for Jeff Kent, but few others have.

Once again, I left off both Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. I will probably put them on in their final year of eligibility. In the meantime, I shall continue to give priority to other players.

No comments:

Post a Comment