Monday, September 21, 2026

Thoughts on The Shooting Outside a Synagogue in Belleville, Ontario on Yom Kippur

When I awoke this morning, I saw a text from my mother notifying me of the shooting which took place in front Sons of Jacob Synagogue in Belleville, Ontario during Yom Kippur services.

No one inside the synagogue was injured although windows were broken. The gunman, who has been identified as Sean Ward, wounded a police officer guarding the synagogue. That officer has been identified as Constable Jeff Smith who returned fire along with another officer who arrived on the scene striking the assailant. 

Belleville is situated on Lake Ontario about halfway between Toronto and Ottawa. When I took trips on VIA Rail between the two cities I would pass through Belleville. Sadly, such violence can happen anywhere at any time.

As such, I could not help but think of the attack on Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue in Manchester, UK on Yom Kippur last year which claimed the lives of two Jewish congregants. A day later, a mob descended upon 10 Downing Street to cheer the attack. It would come as no surprise to me if there are those who will see fit to publicly praise the attack.

Unfortunately, I believe we can expect more attacks on synagogues not only during the High Holidays, but during Sukkot, Chanukah, Purim and Passover and perhaps this coming October 7th. Of course, for anti-Semites anytime will do when it comes to killing Jews.

I can only hope Constable Smith makes a full recovery and gets every honor that is coming to him. Presuming that Mr. Ward survives his injuries, I hope that he will never see the light of freedom ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment