Sunday, September 20, 2026

Alex Bregman's On Deck Circle Injury Gave Me Flashbacks to Juan Encarnacion

 

During this afternoon's game between the Chicago Cubs and the Cincinnati Reds, Cubs third baseman lex Bregman was hit in the face with a foul ball near the on deck circle and has been hospitalized

In the fourth inning, Cubs first baseman Michael Busch was facing Reds reliever Luis Mey when Busch fouled off a pitch which bounced and struck Bregman in the face. Bregman ran towards the Cubs dugout grabbing his face and was met the team's training staff who took him into the clubhouse. 

When I learned about what happened to Bregman, I immediately thought about one player - Juan Encarnacion. 

On August 31, 2007, Encarnacion, who was playing for the St. Louis Cardinals against the Cincinnati Reds (coincidentally), was standing in the on deck circle to pinch hit for reliever Randy Flores. Sadly, Encarnacion would never get to the plate as his teammate Aaron Miles lined a foul ball to his face off Reds reliever Jon Coutlangus.

Encarnacion's left eye socket was crushed. The Cardinals medical director, Dr. George Paletta, called Encarnacion's injury "the worst trauma I've seen." In an instant, Encarnacion's 11-year MLB career was over.

I can only hope that Bregman can avoid Encarnacion's fate. It is worth noting that Encarnacion was hit by a line drive whereas the foul pitch which hit Bregman bounced first. However, Bregman was standing a lot closer to the batter than Encarnacion who was standing in the on deck circle. 

In the grand scheme of things, I am surprised that these sorts of injuries don't happen more often given the close proximity between home plate and the on deck circle.

While the Cubs beat the Reds 9-1 and could earn the top NL Wild Card berth, it is cold comfort with the possibility that Alex Bregman's 11-year MLB career might have come to an abrupt end. At the very minimum, I would be surprised if Bregman would be able to play in the post-season. And even if Bregman does come back this post-season, he might do himself more harm than good in the long run even if he does earn another World Series ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment