Sunday, May 26, 2024

My Memorial Day Weekend Reverie, Part III: Fully Air Conditioned Inside

Following the conclusion of the screening of Young Frankenstein at the Brattle yesterday, I made my way back home to await the arrival of my friend Don Hammontree for the annual installation of my air conditioner.

Don was originally going to come by today while on his way to taking his foster daughters to Fall River.  However, he reconsidered those plans upon realizing he had some studio time booked in Malden to work on some songs and that it would be easier to swing upon completion of the session. Don is a musician, painter and master air conditioner installer. He is truly a renaissance man.

Aside from the fact that I barely lift the AC, I must confess that I am mechanically uninclined. So, for all practical purposes this is a two-person job. My job is to hold the window open while Don does the rest for which I am profoundly grateful. 

Barring any power outages, I am all set until late October. There are invariably a few scorchers during early fall so I like to keep the AC as on as I can. After all, I am on record as stating that air conditioners are my favorite modern convenience. Perhaps it makes us less hearty than previous generations, but they sure keep us cool and comfortable. 

Let me put it another way. If it were legal to do so, I would marry my air conditioner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment