Thursday, August 10, 2023

R.I.P. The Porter Square Pigeon

 

A couple of nights ago, I told you about the wounded bird I encountered outside the Porter Square MBTA station near the Cambridge-Somerville line

I contacted the Cambridge Police Department's non-emergency line to reach out to animal control dispatch and a woman named Liz retrieved the bird to seek care for the pigeon in the morning. I was optimistic for a happy outcome. 

Sadly, I learned today that the bird did not survive the night. Liz still isn't sure what caused its injuries.

I must admit that for a moment I wondered if the pigeon became distressed after being removed to an unfamiliar environment. But what would have happened had I not sought help? Chances are I would have walked to the Porter Square MBTA station yesterday morning and found the bird exactly where it had been, only dead with no one caring enough to try to help. 

Perhaps the pigeon would have died either way. Its time was up. Still, I believe seeking help was the right call even if it didn't produce a happy outcome. 

I can only hope its final hours were spent in some comfort. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment