Saturday, July 24, 2021

On Meeting Jackie Mason Twice on The Streets of NYC

A short while ago, I learned of the passing of legendary comedian Jackie Mason at the age of 93

I certainly remember his career renaissance in the mid-1980's after being blackballed by Ed Sullivan two decades earlier and seeing him on Broadway in Jackie Mason: The Ultimate Jew in 2008.

But what I remember most was seeing him on the streets of New York City. On several occasions, I saw him hold court at Fiorello's on Broadway across from Lincoln Center. 

On two occasions, I had the opportunity to meet Jackie Mason. The first time was on Halloween 2018. This was a little over a month after moving to NYC. There was a Halloween block party on West 69th Street between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue. I went there with my Dad and we got separated. Eventually, I made my way to the corner of West 69th and Columbus and there was Jackie Mason and his wife who asked what was going on and I told them about the block party. His voice was much softer and quieter than I remembered when seeing him on TV or when I saw him on Broadway. I'm sure this was a product of age and health. I didn't let on that I knew who he was. What I noticed was that his hair was a wig.

I would see him again in July 2019 in front of Zabar's on Broadway and West 80th. This time Dad and I were not separated. Mason was also doing schtick and seemed more jovial. He was being Jackie Mason. It was what he did best. R.I.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment