Thursday, March 4, 2021

A Thought for June Millington

Last summer, while I was in New York City struggling to find work and doing my best to avoid COVID-19, I became enamored with the 1970's all-female rock band Fanny after seeing their rendition of Marvin Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar" which was part of an incredible seven song set they performed on the Wester German TV show Beat Club in 1971. I highly recommended you check it out because it will be the best 35 minutes of your week. I made a point of singing their praises

Since that time I have connected with two of the band members on Facebook - lead guitarist June Millington and drummer Alice de Buhr. Alice has been active with co-hosting the biweekly Get Behind Fanny podcast. Meanwhile, June has spent many years as the musical director of the Institute of Musical Arts (IMA) which she co-founded with her longtime partner Ann Hackler some 35 years ago. Based in Goshen, Massachusetts, IMA mentors young women in the world of music. 

During the course of the pandemic, June has spent most Thursday evenings going on Facebook Live to do the IMA Livestreams. It is a very informal hour of music with family and friends, occasional public service messages and readings from her 2015 autobiography Land of a Thousand Bridges: Island Girl in a Rock 'n Roll World. It is a warm and cozy way to spend an evening after a stressful day at the office.

However, over the past several weeks, the IMA Livestream has gone on an unexpected hiatus. During the same period, my Facebook communication with June has also been curtailed. Today, I found out why. June disclosed that she was diagnosed with breast cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy. Needless to say, she doesn't have the energy to do an hour long livestream for the time being. 

I can only hope June's cancer was detected early. A dozen years ago, my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Later this month she celebrates her 77th birthday. So there is hope. 

In a time which has not been very pleasant, June has given me a great deal of joy with her music and her messages on Facebook. Indeed, she has given a great deal of herself to the young women who attend IMA. It is fair to say there a lot of people who are giving back right now.

I am optimistic that June will make a full recovery and will soon be shredding a guitar creating her fiery brand of June Jam. Get well soon my friend.

1 comment:

  1. Love you June and hope you will be back in the pocket soon.Sending much love,light,peace,and healing energy your way.
    Thanks for this Aaron!

    ReplyDelete