Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Forty Years Gone John Lennon Lives On

 



Forty years ago tonight, a damned fool snuffed out the life of John Lennon and the world howled in anguish. 

Many people, myself included, didn't find what had happened until the following morning. When I arrived at elementary school, I remember a neighborhood girl leaning up against the wall listening to The Beatles on a portable cassette player with a look of sorrow and disbelief. She was far from alone.

Although he was taken from us so cruelly, he still lives on forty years on. Earlier today, my Dad went to Strawberry Fields where people gather to celebrate his life both on the anniversary of his death and the anniversary of his birth. You can take a look at the video posted above.

I was last there very briefly on what would have been his 80th birthday less than two months ago. What I did not say at the time was that I knew I would soon be leaving New York City. I just didn't know if I was going to move back to Boston or move down here to Atlanta. I found out it would be Atlanta only a few hours after writing that post.

I must confess there isn't a lot I miss about NYC, but there was that connection to Lennon living only a few blocks away from The Dakota and Strawberry Fields. John Lennon still has a presence in New York City especially on the Upper West Side and always shall. This is something in which I take great comfort and solace. R.I.P. 

No comments:

Post a Comment