Friday, August 24, 2018

Why I Dislike MLB's Players Weekend

MLB's second annual Players Weekend is underway and I cannot stand it anymore now than I did a year ago.

This is when players get to wear silly uniforms and have even sillier nicknames on the backs of their jerseys all in the name of expressing their "personality." Yet we have the sight of 750 players expressing their personality in exactly the same way.

To me, personality is not something that can be contrived, manufactured or organized in any way. Personality is an individual trait and ought to be expressed in a unique way day in and day out rather than for a single weekend as an elaborate marketing gimmick.

When I think of personality, I think of Rollie Fingers' mustache, Mark Fidrych talking to the baseball or U.L. Washington batting with a toothpick in his mouth. All of this comes from within and does not take away from the game on the field rather than being mandated by the Office of the Commissioner or even the MLBPA and becoming yet another spectacle to distract us from what is happening on the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment