Monday, August 20, 2018

I'm a Political Orphan

It has been two years since I started this blog. I started it after I discontinued writing for The American Spectator after being told by its publisher Bob Tyrrell I could not criticize Donald Trump.

I don't regret the decision for a second. Sure, I could have sucked it up and written articles and blog posts about baseball, music and criticized The Left. But what would have that made me? A trained seal who turned a blind eye to Trump's cruelty, stupidity and vanity. Others can write that Trump has a new wardrobe when he has not a stitch of clothing on his bloated body. That's just not me.

I got to write half a dozen articles for National Review Online last year, but only one this year. The problem is that the conservatives who don't like him are trying to curry his favor and that isn't done by running articles critical of him, his policies and his temperament. When it comes right down to it my views of Trump just don't have a place in the conservative universe. All things considered, why would I want to associate myself with an ideology which crumbled before the rantings of a real estate con man in the time it took to descend an escalator?

Does this mean I'm going back to The Left? I don't fit in there either. #MeToo, Black Lives Matter and Palestinian solidarity are little more than dogma and sloganeering which demands complete conformity and obedience. The Left is right to call out Trump's cruelty, stupidity and vanity. But they are every bit as cruel, stupid and vain and they cannot and will not see it. They think their shit don't stink. The Left thinks its dogma is a given and that they don't need to persuade anyone as to its merits. It is sufficient to call anyone who questions it a racist. It's the sort of approach which is going to get Trump elected to a second term in 2020.

What does it all mean for me? It means that I am a political orphan. It means that I have all these arguments, ideas and thoughts and nowhere to express them. Except here that is and if it gets no farther than that then so be it. Perhaps there will be an opportunity to write about other subjects, but in this day and age getting the opportunity to write about baseball, music or anything else depends on what you think of #MeToo, Black Lives Matter and Palestinian solidarity.

The best I can do is to bide my time. Perhaps there will be another forum where my writing can flourish before a wider audience. Whether that time comes or not, I can write here on my own terms where I only have to answer to myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment