Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Read This 2002 Phoenix New Times Interview With Barbara Harris

Actress Barbara Harris passed away yesterday from lung cancer at the age of 83.


I must admit I had only a passing familiarity with her work. I've seen her in Freaky Friday, Nashville and in one of my favorite films A Thousand Clowns. But I did not realize the role she played in establishing Second City.


But I'm sure she would have understood. I got a kick out of this interview with Robrt L. Pela of the Phoenix New Times in October 2002 shortly after retiring from acting and moving out to Scottsdale to teach aspiring thespians. Consider her response to this question:


NT: You have a pretty distinctive voice and personality. Do you get recognized in the grocery?


Harris: No, thank goodness. I don't usually mention that I have been in movies, because I'm afraid people will say, "Well, I don't watch black-and-white films." Most people don't know who I am.


Many of us desire fame or at the very least want to be remembered. But in the grand scheme of things perhaps it is best not to attain fame nor be remembered because one could always become famous or remembered for things which does not to be famous or remembered.


Yet in this case I think the work of Barbara Harris warrants our attention even if for just a moment. R.I.P.



No comments:

Post a Comment