This evening I went to the Brattle Theatre to attend a screening of The Piano starring Holly Hunter, Harvey Keitel, Anna Paquin and Sam Neill.
It marked the first time I had seen The Piano since my stint in London more than 30 years ago. When I stayed at the International Students House, sometimes there would be films shown on Sunday evenings. It was a good film but not one I would go out of my way to see again. An evening of light entertainment it is not. As you might imagine, the impetus for seeing The Piano was prompted by the passing of Sam Neill last month of pneumonia following a several years long battle with cancer at the age of 78.
The Piano would win three Academy Awards out of eight nominations. Holly Hunter deservedly won for Best Actress. Seldom has a performance said so much without uttering a word. Anna Paquin won Best Supporting Actress in her debut acting role at the age of 11 displaying a maturity well beyond her years. Director Jane Campion would also win an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. Campion would earn an additional Oscar nomination for Best Director becoming only the second woman ever to receive consideration. Lina Wertmüller was the first woman to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Director for the 1976 film Seven Beauties. For her part, Campion would eventually win Best Director for the 2021 film The Power of the Dog.
Stuart Dryburgh, Janet Patterson and Veronika Jenet also received Oscar nominations for cinematography, costume design and film editing, respectively. The film, which was set in New Zealand, is also significant for its use of British sign language and the Māori language.
Amid all these things, the New Zealand born Neill's performance as Allisdair Stewart gets lost in the shuffle. Stewart arranges to be married to a deaf pianist named Ada McGrath (Hunter) who journeys to New Zealand from Scotland with her daughter (Flora) with a piano in tow. Stewart's right-hand man George Baines (Harvey Keitel) acquires the piano ostensibly to take lessons. But in reality, Baines is aroused by Ada and makes his intentions known to her. Although initially repelled by Baines, Ada gradually falls in love with him.
Stewart learns of their tryst but is initially forgiving. The pair try to consummate their marriage without success. Stewart's forgiveness turns to rage when Flora gives him a message Ada intended for Baines. During this rage, Stewart chops off Ada's finger much to the horror of Flora who tearfully tells Baines what has happened. Baines wants to kill Stewart, but Flora pleads with him not to do so.
However, Stewart has his own ideas about killing Baines. Yet when Stewart holds a gun to Baines' face, he has an epiphany and realizes it is best that Baines be with Ada and that they return to Scotland with Flora. In his performance as Stewart, Neill is capable of both cruelty and kindness.
Next month, The Brattle will have a tribute called "The Weird Wild World of Sam Neill" which include films like Jurassic Park, Possession and Event Horizon. I'm not sure if I will attend but I have not ruled it out at this point. Yet, from where I sit, The Piano is a key part of Sam Neill's acting legacy. R.I.P.
No comments:
Post a Comment