Saturday, August 22, 2026

Late Fame is a Reminder The Past is Sometimes Best Left Behind

 

This evening, I went to the Brattle Theatre to take in a screening of the film Late Fame starring Willem Dafoe. 

Before I discuss the movie, an update about the Brattle. Tonight was the first time I had been to the Brattle in over a month. I was last there five weekends ago for a retrospective tribute on what would have been Harry Dean Stanton's 100th birthday.

The Brattle would then be closed for 10 days for the purpose of installing a new floor and new seats. The floor looks cleaner and feel more comfortable to walk on. Even the men's washroom looks cleaner. Now if it only it was bigger. 

Late Fame is adapted from a 19th century novella written by Austrian author and playwright Arthur Schnitzler. Dafoe portrays Ed Saxberger, a poet whose 1979 book Way Past Go earns the attention of a new generation of mostly college aged artists and actors. Until the rediscovery, Saxberger had been working for USPS for nearly 40 years. 

Indeed, poetry is but a distant memory for Saxberger. But this doesn't stop his newfound "friends" from trying to land him a publishing deal to write his memoirs and perform new poetry. Of course, if his "friends" had truly understood the creative process one cannot force a poem to the surface any more than one can force a song or a sculpture to form. Saxberger's poetry is so far in the rearview mirror that none of his longtime friends know about his life previous life as a poet. The last thing Saxberger wants is for these two worlds to collide. Complicating matters is Gloria (Greta Lee), an actress at least 30 years younger than Saxberger with whom he becomes infatuated.

This movie hit home for me in an uncomfortable way. During my early years in Boston, I was part of the local poetry scene. I would regularly attend open mics and self-published a couple of chap books. Many of my poems had a conservative political bent which would occasionally draw the ire of certain audiences. On one occasion, I had a Coke can tossed at my head at the Cantab Lounge here in Cambridge. Eventually, I would be given a lifetime ban at the Cantab and I've not set foot in there in more than 15 years. I cannot remember the last time I wrote a poem.

It was just as well because by this time I was regularly contributing articles to The American Spectator which I would do for another 5 years before I was told that Donald Trump was beyond criticism. That was a decade ago. There would be a few articles for National Review Online. Aside from writing in this space, the last time I had an article published was in The Forward. That was more than 5 years ago.

I have pitched articles to several publications in the years which followed without success. As time has gone on, I have accepted that my life's work is in legal records. All things considered, I am a happier person for it.

Nevertheless, I do feel the need to write. I don't know if I'll ever write another poem again. But I do feel the need to speak my peace. I write my articles here and post the links on Facebook, Threads and Blue Sky. If people get something out of it then great. But I have no expectations or illusions of fame or prosperity. Indeed, when I do get feedback, it is far more likely to be negative than positive. But I am a big boy and can take care of myself. For the most part, however, there is just indifference. Frankly, it is probably just as well.

If I were in Ed Saxberger's place and a stranger on the street were to compliment me on a poem I wrote 20 years ago or an article I wrote 10 years ago, I would most likely politely thank them and move on with my day. Admittedly, that might be more of a challenge if the person in question happens to be an attractive woman. Nevertheless, such encounters are probably more trouble than they are worth. In Ed Saxberger's case, the best he could have done was to run away from his past as fast as possible. Sometimes it is best to leave the past behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment