Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Raquel Welch, R.I.P.

Actress, model and singer Raquel Welch passed away today following a short illness. She was 82. 

Welch, of course, will be best remembered for her physical beauty. Some might call a superficial quality for which to be remembered, but the cold fact is that we human beings like what is aesthetically pleasing. And once one gazed upon Raquel Welch, especially the male of the species, one would forever remember myself included.

My first memory of Welch was when she appeared on The Muppet Show in 1978. There was a running gag that she was going to change her image. Of course, she did nothing of the sort. Until tonight, I had not seen any part of this episode in over 40 years and yet I remembered it as if no time had passed. 

Remarkably, her beauty remained as she aged, and could command a room with her mere presence as she did at The Emmys a decade ago. Raquel Welch possessed the qualities of a goddess but is mortal just like the rest of us. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment