Monday, February 27, 2023

My Memories of Betty Boothroyd

Betty Boothroyd, best known for serving as Speaker of the British House of Commons from 1992 to 2000, passed away on Sunday at the age of 93. She remains the only woman who has served in that role in over seven centuries.

While I had seen her on television when I would watch Prime Minister's Questions, I had the chance to see Boothroyd first-hand when I worked as a parliamentary intern in the British House of Commons back in 1995. 

When she would enter the Commons, all business would cease. She always had a smile on her face. But when it came time for Prime Minister's Questions, she was all business. Boothroyd did not suffer fools gladly and would put anyone who got out of line in place with a stern, "Order!!!"

First elected as a Labour MP in 1973, Boothroyd commanded respect on all sides of the aisle and comported herself with good humor. I remember Boothroyd being the guest of honor at the annual Parliamentary Beer Club dinner which I attended. The beer of choice that evening was Speakers' Ale. Although I did not meet her in person her presence was a cheerful one and all assembled were more than glad to come to order.

After stepping down as Speaker in 2000, Boothroyd was appointed to the House of Lords as a crossbencher and became known as Baroness Boothroyd and remained an active member of that chamber openly criticizing former Prime Minister Boris Johnson's behavior following Brexit and Partygate. Yet Johnson was among the seven former Prime Ministers who paid tribute to Boothroyd upon learning of her passing. No doubt she would have called him to order from beyond the sky had he not done so. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment