Thursday, January 26, 2023

Some Simmering Thoughts on Gas and Electric Stoves

Amid news the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission had planned to ban gas stoves and President Biden's efforts to cool down the temperature, I thought I would offer some simmering thoughts on the subject.

During my time in Canada, I only used electric stoves while during my time here in the U.S. I have only used gas stoves. Mind you, I don't consider myself a gourmet - galloping or otherwise. My first memories using an electric stove would be to heat up a can of Chef Boyardee or Campbell's Chunky Soup. Once, when my entire immediate family went for a day trip to Minnesota, I stayed behind to study for a high school chemistry exam I remember using the oven to heat up some McCain French Fries. 

Truth be told, I haven't used a stove of any kind since I left New York more than two years ago. When I lived in Atlanta, I had an air fryer which I never bothered to use. There is a gas stove in my home in Cambridge, but I have never used it. Aside from the fact that it has had some problems there is the fact that I have limited access to the kitchen in the first place. As such I generally eat my food raw and if I need to heat anything I use the microwave. Or I eat out as I did this evening. Fortunately, when my landlady has company there are several restaurants within the immediate vicinity of my home.

If I had the choice between a gas and an electric stove, I would opt for the latter. There are a couple of things about gas stoves which I dislike. Many of them have no ventilation and tend to set off smoke alarms. Then there are the pilot lights. When I lived in Jamaica Plain for a decade, my roommate had absolutely no sense of smell and sometimes I would walk into the apartment and know instantly that the pilot light was out. On several occasions, I had to call in the local gas company and on one occasion the stove had to be replaced because the pipes were jammed and could not be safely used. 

It isn't to say that electric stoves are without risk. More than a decade ago while my mother was cooking her clothing caught fire resulting in third degree burns on her arms on back. If not for my younger brother, she might have lost her life right then and there. 

While it is nice to have a home cooked meal like I did on my 50th birthday at the home of June Millington and Ann Hackler, aside from the convenience of a microwave, I am content with simple meals which do not require cooking.

In which I suppose my views concerning both gas and electric stoves are lukewarm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment