Friday, October 22, 2021

Peter Scolari, R.I.P.

Actor Peter Scolari passed away on Friday following a two year battle with leukemia at the age of 66.

When I think of Scolari I always think of Bosom Buddies, the early 1980's sitcom in which he co-starred with Tom Hanks. The basic premise of the show were two men who dressed up as women to live in a women only hotel. I remember watching it when it originally aired and while I cannot claim I understood everything I liked what I saw. It would be more than 30 years before I saw Bosom Buddies again. The show did not age well except for the on-screen charisma between Scolari and Hanks.

Scolari would not attain the A list stature of Hanks, but nevertheless enjoyed a solid career in TV and on Broadway. For most people, he is probably best known for playing Michael Harris on Newhart for which he earned three Emmy nominations. He would also star in the TV adaptation of Honey, I Shrunk The Kids (as he bore a remarkable resemblance to Rick Moranis). Scolari would finally win an Emmy for his portrayal of Lena Dunham's father on Girls in 2016. 

I leave you Scolari juggling hams during a 1990 appearance on Late Night with David Letterman. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment