Saturday, October 23, 2021

Braves Win 1st NL Pennant Since 1999

The Atlanta Braves bested the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-2 in Game 6 of the NLCS to win their first NL pennant since 1999. In the process, the Braves avoided a repeat of last year when they relinquished a 3-1 NLCS lead to the Dodgers. 

The Braves took the lead on a 3-run HR by Eddie Rosario who was also named the NLCS MVP. Rosario was even more dominant than Yordan Alvarez was in the ALCS going 14 for 25 (.560) with 3 HR and 9 RBI. Atlanta acquired Rosario in a trade with the Cleveland Indians at the trade deadline for Pablo Sandoval who never played a game in a Tribe uniform. 

Atlanta will travel to Houston to commence Game 1 of the World Series on Tuesday night. The Braves are vying to win their first World Series title since 1995. I think this makes up for not hosting the All-Star Game. 

Although this will be the first all Southern World Series, I suspect much of the country will be rooting for the Braves as the Astros have long been associated with the electronic sign stealing scandal. Although Astros manager Dusty Baker has nothing to do with the scandal and it would be nice to see him finish his managerial career with a World Series ring, Atlanta manager Brian Snitker has been with the Braves organization since 1977 and it would be nice to see someone who has paid their dues win themselves a World Series ring. 

Under different circumstances I might have been still been in Atlanta and possibly had a chance to experience my fourth World Series parade. But my heart wasn't into the Braves when I was there. Truist Park is in Cobb County and that might as well have been on the other side of the Earth. It is not part of the neighborhood the way Fenway Park is. For better or worse, the Red Sox are part of my soul and I am where I want to be. Still, now that the Red Sox are out of the picture, I shall be rooting for the Braves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment