Thursday, February 20, 2020

Why I Went Bowling Instead of Watching Last Night's Democratic Debate in Vegas

I have spent a great deal of time going out to various venues to watch the Democratic Party presidential debates and caucus/primary results. But I opted to skip last night's debate to go bowling.


One of my goals for this year was to join a bowling league and for the past six weeks I have Wednesday evenings at Bowlero Queens to bowl in the Lousy Bowlers Club.


I'm still lousy, but am improving. Prior to beginning the league, my average was just under 70. Now it's around 88 and I roll better than 100 on a more frequent basis. Although I roll spares and strikes more often, I still get into a rut where I will roll several gutter balls in a row and I make my displeasure known. I'm not happy when I do this or when I don't roll as well as other people.


But getting better is something for which I can strive. And when you join a league you can bowl quite inexpensively. This a good thing because New York and inexpensive seldom appear in the same sentence.


I'm also gradually getting to know people.


When it comes to bowling there is fertile ground for to explore.


When it comes to politics it is the same old ground even if there are new players.


By all accounts, I missed a barnburner of a debate and things did not fare so well for Bloomberg as I suspected they wouldn't.


Don't get me wrong. Affairs of state are important and I will pay attention and make comment when I see fit. But chances are very little good is going to come of it. More likely than not Donald Trump is going to be re-elected. In the unlikely event Trump loses he will lose to a candidate I don't like either (i.e. Bernie Sanders). Even if Pete Buttigieg manages to win the damn things it's not like the world will break out into song and teenaged boys will be cured of acne. Things are likely to get worse before they get better, if they get better.


Let me put it another way. When I told one of my colleagues that I went bowling instead of watching the debate, he replied, "You chose wisely."


With that, I will be going another watch party next Tuesday when Democrats debate in South Carolina. Whether this is a wise choice remains to be seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment