Sunday, September 29, 2019

Red Sox Reversal of Fortune

After winning a franchise record 108 games in 2018 en route to a fourth World Series title in 15 years, I predicted the Boston Red Sox would not make the post-season in 2019.

This has come to pass. But I did not expect the Red Sox to win 24 fewer games than in 2019. I did not expect them to finish 19 games back of the Yankees in the AL East. I did not expect them to fire Dave Dombrowski. Nor did I expect them to announce plans to cut payroll with plans to trade away 2018 AL MVP Mookie Betts. Yet here we are. 

The Red Sox will do all this and be expected to win the World Series next year. It's what happens when a city has too much winning. It is never enough. All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not living amongst Red Sox Nation. Not that there isn't pressure to win in New York. But New York doesn't have Boston's inferiority complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment