Monday, May 14, 2018

Margot Kidder, R.I.P.

I had a bad feeling that when I saw Margot Kidder's name starting to trend on Twitter early this afternoon. Indeed, the Canadian born actress passed away yesterday at the age of 69. The cause of death hasn't been made public as of this writing.

I was 6-years old when I saw her portrayal of Lois Lane on the big screen in Superman. It was the first I ever fell in love.

When I saw Superman on DVD nearly 20 years ago, the extras featured on-screen auditions for Lois Lane from other actresses -- Stockard Channing, Ann Archer, Leslie Ann Warren and then Kidder. While I adore Warren, the producers made the right choice in casting Kidder. She and Christopher Reeve had an instant chemistry and her beauty was balanced by a healthy measure of sass.

Of course, Kidder could never quite match her Superman success and had many setbacks in the intervening years. A serious car crash in 1990 left her unable to work for two years eventually forcing her to declare bankruptcy. By 1996, she was homeless and suffered a very public mental breakdown.

However, in recent years, Kidder had rebounded earning praise for her roles in the Superman TV spinoff Smallville and The L-Word before winning an Emmy in 2015 in R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour. 

Under the circumstances, I wish I could turn back time as Superman did when he brought Lois back from the dead. Alas, this can only be done in the movies. R.I.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment