Thursday, May 10, 2018

How Much Money Did The Trump Administration Pay To Secure The Freedom of Three Americans Held in North Korea?

Let me begin by stating that I am glad that three Americans - Kim Hak-song, Kim Dong-chul and Kim Sang-duk - are back in this country after two years in a North Korean labor camp.

I'm even glad they were greeted by President Trump & First Lady Melania Trump.

But somehow I don't think Kim Jong Un granted them amnesty out of the kindness of his heart. There is little evidence to suggest he possesses either. Nor do I think that President Trump, much less Mike Pompeo, threatened to launch nuclear missiles unless they were freed.

I think there is a very good chance the Trump Administration gave Kim a great deal of money, food and possibly other resources to secure their release. Was it more than the $400 million it cost the Obama Administration to secure the release of three Americans held in Iran in August 2016?

The conservatives who held Obama to account for his administration's behavior should be prepared to ask the same question of the Trump Administration.

After all, it is a question worth asking.


No comments:

Post a Comment