Saturday, April 21, 2018

Verne Troyer, R.I.P.

Actor Verne Troyer, best known for his portrayal of MiniMe in the Austin Powers movies, has died at the age of 49. Troyer had been hospitalized earlier this month for being "suicidal". The 2 foot, 8 inch actor had a long history of alcoholism.

It was just a month ago that I saw Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me on TV with my Dad. It was a great ensemble cast, but Troyer was the breakout player in a career defining role.

Unfortunately, substantial roles were not forthcoming for Troyer who was relegated to the reality show circuit. But he was well regarded for his philanthropic endeavors which were reflected in posthumous tributes led by his Austin Powers co-star Mike Myers who called him "a beacon of positivity." I leave you with an appearance Troyer made with Shaquille O'Neal here in Massachusetts in 2016. R.I.P.



No comments:

Post a Comment