Sunday, August 20, 2017

When I Think of Jerry Lewis I Think of The First Day of School

I learned of Jerry Lewis' passing this afternoon on the way back home from Walden Pond.

In just under an hour, I will watch one of his appearances with Johnny Carson. Last night, Antenna TV presented a Carson episode from 1974 featuring Milton Berle. Uncle Miltie wasn't getting over with the crowd until he started impersonating the King of Comedy. L-a-a-a-d-y!!!

Lewis was at the height of his fame in the 1950's and 1960's especially with his partnership with Dean Martin. But when I think of Jerry Lewis I think of the first day of school. Of course, I am referring to his long standing gig as host of the Jerry Lewis Labor Day MDA Telethon. This meant the first day of school was the following day and with it the end of summer.

I always found the telethon to be a depressing spectacle. Aside from seeing disabled children brought up on stage and the mediocre entertainment, the awful affair was on every single channel. You couldn't watch a ballgame. I know Lewis raised millions of dollars for muscular dystrophy research but I never enjoyed watching it and, unless my parents took us out for the day, couldn't really avoid it.
The best thing to come out of it was his reunion with Martin in 1976 brokered by Frank Sinatra. R.I.P.



No comments:

Post a Comment