Monday, November 14, 2016

Trump Still Thinks He Knows More About ISIS Than The Generals

What I was most struck by from President-Elect Donald Trump's interview with Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes was their exchange on ISIS:


Lesley Stahl: You have said that you’re gonna destroy ISIS. Now, how are you going to?


Donald Trump: I don’t tell you that. I don’t tell you that.


Lesley Stahl: Yeah, but what can --


Donald Trump: I’m not like the people going in right now and fighting Mosul and they announced it four months before they went into Mosul and everybody now is -- it’s a tough fight because, number one, the people from the --leaders of ISIS have left. What do you-- why do I have to tell you that?


Lesley Stahl: Troops on the ground?


Donald Trump: I’m not gonna say anything. I don’t want to tell them anything. I don’t want to tell anybody anything.


Lesley Stahl: Yeah, but what about—the American people.


Donald Trump: I wanna do the job. We have some great generals. We have great generals.


Lesley Stahl: You said you knew more than the generals about ISIS


Donald Trump: Well, I’ll be honest with you, I probably do because look at the job they’ve done. OK, look at the job they’ve done. They haven’t done the job. Now, maybe it’s leadership, maybe it’s something else. Who knows? All I can tell you is we’re going to get rid of ISIS.


What this tells me is that Trump is all talk. He doesn't have a fucking clue what he's going to do with ISIS beyond "bombing the shit out of them."


What's even more telling is that in one breath Trump says we have great generals and in the next says they haven't done the job.


Well, how haven't they done the job?


My guess is Trump would reiterate his main complaint that the advance into Mosul was announced months in advance. But that's a criticism he ought to direct to the Obama Administration, not the generals. The military is subject to civilian command and the generals work at the pleasure of the President. Surely he should be aware of it instead of bad mouthing the generals.


Then again maybe Trump doesn't think he needs the generals. Perhaps where it concerns ISIS, Trump believes, "I alone can solve."

No comments:

Post a Comment