Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Mose Allison, R.I.P.

Jazz and blues pianist and vocalist Mose Allison passed away on Tuesday only days after his 89th birthday.

Allison had a distinct nasally Southern voice which I first heard in 1978-1979 when our family lived in Victoria, B.C. during my Dad's sabbatical year. We traveled light. So the only LP we owned was Mose Allison's Seventh Son. It was a compilation album of material he recorded in the late 1950's including "The Seventh Son", "Parchman Farm" and "Don't Get Around Much Anymore".



I had the privilege of hearing Allison sing and play piano at Sculler's Jazz Club here in Boston in 2000 shortly after moving to this city. My favorite song from that set was "Ever Since The World Ended". I love the lyric, "Ever since the world ended/I don't go out as much."


Mose Allison might not get out much anymore, but his music most certainly will.

No comments:

Post a Comment