Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Julian Sands, R.I.P.

Remains found near Mount Baldy in near Los Angeles were today identified as belonging to actor Julian Sands who disappeared while hiking in the area back in January. Sands was 65.

He was an experienced mountaineer. Sadly, experience isn't always enough to overcome nature's cruel winds.

The British born actor appeared in films such as The Killing Fields, A Room With a View, Warlock, Boxing Helena and Leaving Las Vegas and Ocean's Thirteen as well as TV series such as 24 and Smallville. I particularly remember Sands for his portrayal of photojournalist Jon Swain in The Killing Fields alongside Sam Waterston, Haing S. Ngor and John Malkovich. Sands was in his mid-20's at the time but exuded a gravity beyond his years.

For the sake of his family, I'm glad he was found. Not that I think it would bring them closure. I don't believe there is closure when it comes to the death of a father, husband, son or brother. However, knowing where he is and having a proper burial does bring a small measure of comfort. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment