Sunday, June 20, 2021

Hope I Will Be Able to Sleep Tonight As I Start My New Job Tomorrow

In less than 12 hours from now, I will be starting a new job. This has become a familiar refrain over the past several years after working steadily for 14 years. This time around my time between jobs was considerably shorter - seven weeks versus seven months. Actually, I was offered the job a month ago. But, of course, I had to move from Atlanta back to Boston and find a place.

This I have managed to do. One thing I have not managed to do is to stay cool. One of Atlanta's virtues is centralized air conditioning. It is one of the reasons the best part of my experience in Atlanta was my apartment. Needless to say, this isn't one of the amenities of my new abode. 

At the moment I have three cooling devices including a portable air conditioner which I bought yesterday. Yes, it is portable but it's no air conditioner. For the work one must to do to get it to work (i.e. put the filter in the freezer, place ice cubes and pour water into the basin) it is a little more than a glorified fan. Aside from the usual anxiety associated in trying to sleep the night before a new job is complicated by the fact that it is too hot to sleep in my room.

An old friend of mine did offer me an air conditioner free of charge. I'm just not sure when I'll get it much less find someone to help me install it. While I am glad to be back in Boston/Cambridge life is full of small inconveniences even in the best of places.

Perhaps trying to stay cool as I sleep will help diminish my anxiety. If nothing else when I go to work I can look forward to a day of air conditioning. 

The new job will have some of the challenges of my previous job namely working with colleagues and superiors who are situated in other jurisdictions. I do find it difficult to work in setting where one does not have a face to face relationship with colleagues and superiors. I will have a full week of training though I'm sure I'll still have questions next week and beyond. 

Unlike my previous job, I will be working side by side with another records colleague though that individual has yet to be hired and I'm not sure when this will come to pass. But I cannot worry about things over which I have no control. 

At this point, I don't want to get ahead of myself. I just want to take things a day at a time and reach a point where I can do my job with confidence and comfort.

Now if I could only sleep comfortably tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment