Saturday, June 12, 2021

I Prefer New York City as a Visitor Rather Than a Resident

 

For the past week, I have been visiting my Dad in New York City and have one more day to go before I return to Boston on Monday. 

It is the first time I've been back to NYC since my short-lived move to Atlanta last October. I must say that I prefer New York as a visitor rather than as a resident. Granted this sentiment isn't confined to NYC. I feel much the same about Ottawa and Thunder Bay. I've never been to Boston as a visitor. It has always been home.

Of course, New York isn't without its conveniences and virtues. While my walk to work was a healthy one, I found the concrete jungle of Lexington Avenue a cold place even on the hottest of days. Even with its bright lights, Times Square is too concrete for me although it was good to see it teeming with people again. A desolate Times Square is far more depressing.

It is nice to see Times Square, Central Park and the Chrysler Building on occasion but on a day to day basis it is a bit too much. The pace is simply a few steps too fast. Don't get me wrong. There are far worse places in the world one could find oneself. Now that I'm back in the Northeast I'll certainly resume visiting here on a regular basis. But Boston (OK, technically Cambridge) you're my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment