Monday, May 4, 2020

I'm Not Enjoying ESPN's Telecast of Korean Baseball

Right now I am watching ESPN's coverage of the Korean Baseball Organization (KBO) between the NC Dinos and the Samsung Lions and I am not enjoying it.

The reason I am not enjoying it is the same reason why I don't like ESPN's coverage of MLB. Ditto for FOX and nearly any other televised broadcast. Karl Ravech, Eduardo Perez and Jeff Passan are talking about everything except what is actually going on the field. They're talking about when MLB might return, COVID-19 testing done by the KBO and lunch with Eric Thames. What they're not talking about is the fact the Lions have runners on first & second in a scoreless game.



Naturally I'm not surprised by this state of affairs. But if this is going to be ESPN's modus operandi then I would rather watch Game 1 of the 1969 World Series between the New York Mets and the Baltimore Orioles as I did earlier today. The game was in black and white but the color commentary was focused on what was going on in the game. When Tony Kubek interviewed Ted Williams, Joe Cronin, Julie Nixon and David Eisenhower it was done in between innings not when Tom Seaver was facing Frank Robinson.

Of course I'll watch MLB games whenever the regular season begins, but until then I'll stick with baseball telecasts that are about baseball. Time to turn this off and to turn in.


No comments:

Post a Comment