Thursday, May 16, 2019

New Yorkers Hate Trump More Than de Blasio, But They Still Hate Him

When New York Mayor Bill de Blasio announced his entry in the 2020 presidential race, President Trump tweeted, "NYC HATES HIM!"


There is more than a kernel of truth there. He got booed at a rally for the Green New Deal at Trump Tower the other day. He was booed when he lit the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center last November. He was booed at the 2017 Columbus Day Parade. He was booed at not one, not two, but three straight home openers by Mets fans at Citi Field. And he was booed at the NYPD graduation back in 2014 following the ambush of two NYPD police officers.


Yet with all that, New Yorkers hate Trump even more. But Trump is beloved in other parts of the country. The same cannot be said of de Blasio. And if de Blasio can't get over in Manhattan then how can he get over in Manchester, New Hampshire? I give credit to de Blasio for his stern condemnation of Ilhan Omar's anti-Semitism, but that won't help him in today's Democratic Party. That being said, I don't think Democrats would nominate someone who tells a homeless advocate, "I'm in the middle of a workout." Despite his workout regimen, Trump would probably be right in describing de Blasio as "low energy". As Helaine Olen of The Washington Post put it on Twitter, "The thing about Bill De Blasio is that he appears bored by NYC. NYC is a lot of things -- annoying, infuriating, exasperating -- but no one is ever bored by it. I don't get it."


Neither do I. In the nearly 8 months I've been in New York City I've never had anyone tell me, "Boy, de Blasio is the best mayor this city has ever had. I can't wait for de Blasio to run for President." He'll have eight years in Gracie Mansion. That should be good enough. I can't see this presidential bid ending in anything other than embarrassment for de Blasio.

No comments:

Post a Comment