Monday, January 22, 2018

Pence Tells Knesset That U.S. Embassy Will Move to Jerusalem By End of 2019 (I'll Believe It When I See It)

The Knesset, save for a few Arab MKs, was delighted when Vice President Mike Pence announced the U.S. Embassy would move to Jerusalem and be opened by the end of 2019.

While I agree with the move, I'll believe it when I see it.

Aside from the fact that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has to sign off on safety plans before this can proceed and I don't see that happening. And then there's Trump himself who can continue to exercise the six month waiver provision in the Jerusalem Embassy Act. After all, last week Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated the embassy move would take place at the end of this year only to be contradicted by Trump. Who can say Trump won't contradict Pence like he contradicts his other White House underlings?

In which case, the joy of the Knesset might very well be short-lived.


No comments:

Post a Comment