Monday, January 22, 2018

My Neil Diamond Concert Memories

I was saddened to learn that Neil Diamond's half century performing career has come to an abrupt end due to being diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Diamond turns 77 on Wednesday.

Fortunately, I had the opportunity to see hear Diamond in concert thrice. I first saw him perform at the TD North Garden here in Boston in August 2005. Nearly four years later, I would hear him perform on back to back days during Fourth of July festivities on The Esplanade attending both the dress rehearsal concert on July 3rd and the fireworks show on the 4th.

In light of this news, I wish I had saw him one more time so I could have written it up in The American Spectator or on this blog.

Perhaps the greatest memory Bostonians will have of Diamond is when he showed up to Fenway Park unannounced to sing "Sweet Caroline" in person on April 20, 2013, the day after the Boston Marathon bomber was captured.


Red Sox fans will now have to be content to sing "Sweet Caroline" during the middle of the 8th inning. The good news is that Diamond still plans to write and record music "for a long time to come."

No comments:

Post a Comment