If you have spent any amount of time in and around Harvard Square in Cambridge, one of its landmarks is Charlie's Kitchen.
It is part dive bar, part diner and all around a good place to be. When we were roommates, no trip to Harvard Square was complete without a stop at Charlie's. Indeed, I remember when we attended the Bruins Stanley Cup victory parade in Back Bay 15 years ago, we took a long walk to Harvard Square just to have a bite at Charlie's. I particularly enjoyed their portobello mushroom sandwich although they would discontinue this item. In the absence of the portobello mushroom sandwich, I would settle for a veggie burger or a salmon burger.
When I moved back to this area more than five years ago, Charlie's was among the things with which I was looking forward to renewing acquaintances. Usually, I would go to Charlie's for a quick bite either before or after taking in a film at the Brattle.
This year marks Charlie's 75th anniversary. Unfortunately, it's not been much of an anniversary. In late January, Charlie's was forced to close due to extensive water damage.
However, I must confess I did not realize this had happened until the Friday of Memorial Day weekend when I went to see Taxi Driver at the Brattle. I ended up grabbing a bite at IHOP. Less than two months later, the IHOP would be shuttered.
A few days ago, it was announced that Charlie's would be selling off everything at a public sale which took place both yesterday and today. I ventured by Charlie's today and bought a chalice with a sticker bearing Charlie's logo for $15.
The sale is intended to help finance the gutting of Charlie's and to rebuild it. Of course, nothing is the same as it ever was before. Yet a Harvard Square without Charlie's is unthinkable.
When Charlie's might reopen is anyone's guess. But when it does, it will be a good thing. Especially if they bring back the portobello mushroom sandwich.
No comments:
Post a Comment